Sunday, March 8, 2009

Musee Picasso


The museum was quite a sight from the outside, with a mirror bisecting the entire building. On the inside, besides the fascinating (see note) Picasso, was an unintentionally surrealistic movie showing many of Picasso's oddly shaped busts. The heads were rotated by an invisible hand and the screen faded to black periodically. Once the whole screen was accidentally consumed by flame and in another shot streaming smoke was visible from behind. Cora and I were hypnotized for an indeterminate amount of time before moving on.


Note: we talked with an American expatriate today who said that Americans use superlative adjectives far too much. The French are much more thoughtful and reserved with their enthusiasm. Keep on the lookout for it.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the comments by the ex-pat were incredibly,remarkedly, perceptive.
    Seriously, I loved going to the Picasso museum, the ceramics were my favorite pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Americans are the best at everything so no wonder they use superlatives....

    uhmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless I'm missing the point, which I might be, this isn't true. In my immersion experience, the kids use the expression, for example, "trop bien" to mean "so good," which translates literally to "too good"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean, that's one example in an entire language. Americans in general have a much more superlative culture, I think, oversized, super-sized everything. This guy in particular was saying, for example, when you ask an American how they are, the automatic response is "good," whereas in French people are generally a little more neutral (honest).

    ReplyDelete