Today was our first real day in Paris, and it was a very full one. We walked all around the 1st and 2nd arrondissement, through the Carrousel de Louvre and Jardins Tuileries, and down the Rue St. Honore, finally ending at Les Halles.
We had a very well timed, surprising experience in the very fashionable St. Honore area--we stumbled into the Place Vendome (the home of Chanel, Dior, and other incredibly intimidating boutiques) and saw the offices of Comme des Garcons (A Japanese fashion label) tucked in between all this. The door had a sign saying no one but the residents and people who worked there were allowed to enter, but the doors were open...we soon saw why. A huge truck was parked outside, and soon people pushing carts of garment bags started coming out of the doors--and I remembered that the Comme des Garcons fall/winter fashion show was this afternoon (however I didn't know the location--it said "Invitation Only" on the schedule online). Then a couple models started trickling in--looking like a different species--in incredibly beautiful clothes and blonde hair. Soon a whole crowd of Japanese fashionistas emerged, carrying boxes labeled with models names. After a short time (we were still watching), a flock of very tall, very "divine" (Alex's word) models floated out of the doors and into a fan. Last, but not least, and the most exciting, what I'm positively sure was Rei Kawakubo (the head designer for Comme des Garcons) came out in gold lame pants, looking very much like an avant-garde fashion designer. I shamelessly took pictures.
(That's her in the gold pants--I think)
Perhaps this doesn't sound too remarkable, but the whole thing felt oddly surreal, mostly because of our impeccable timing. Rei Kawakubo is a pretty incredible and innovative designer--I have so much admiration for her.
Alex adds: "And the models were other-wordly..."
It's pretty hard to see--here are the leggy ladies getting into vans to go do their best runway stomp.
No comments:
Post a Comment